Ten Bishops Square, Eighth Floor
E1 6EG - London
Partner, Paul Hastings (Europe) LLP, United Kingdom
David Ryland is a Corporate Real Estate partner in the Paul Hastings London office. Mr. Ryland focuses his practice in commercial real estate with particular emphasis on UK and European property funds, joint ventures, clubs, property finance, structured acquisitions, cash flow repackagings, sales and leasebacks, sales and managed transactions and alternative asset classes including hotels. He advises banks, fund managers, operators and investors in the real estate sector on cross-border investment structures including limited partnerships, offshore trusts and non-resident listed vehicles and transactions.
- Schroders in relation to the establishment of various real estate funds including CLOUT, Hercules, Resput and others. Also advised on the sale of Chiswick Park, London to Blackstone, Columbus One and Two and Gresham One and Two.
- London and Regional with a series of structured transactions of major assets including the Park Lane Hilton.
- Axa with the establishment of various Real Estate Funds for investment in the UK and western Europe.
- Deutsche Bank with the proposed establishment of a listed vehicle to acquire various hospitality asset portfolios to the value of £2.3 billion.
- Evans Randall on the acquisition of properties for a value in excess of £2 billion including the Gherkin, Drapers Gardens, Milton Gate and the Deutsche Telekom head quarter buildings in Munich.
- Internos on the establishment of a German spezialfonds for German insurance companies to invest in a portfolio of hotels in western Europe on a cross equity basis.
- A major life company in connection with various structured fund transactions including the development of products targeted at the DC market.
- Hilton in relation to the sale and leaseback of 30 hotels and the sale and manage back of 15 hotels across the UK and Europe.
- Starwood Capital with the structured acquisitions for £900 million in the UK and France.
- Invesco on the establishment of a Luxembourg based European hotel fund and the acquisition and leaseback of hotels across Western Europe for a consideration in excess of £800 million.
- Revcap on the establishment and structuring of various funds and joint ventures to invest in western Europe across different asset classes.
- Alpha Real Capital in connection with a wide range of European funds, joint ventures and structured acquisitions.
- Morgan Stanley on the structuring of acquisitions and disposals of various operating based real estate interests.
- A major US investment bank on various listed real estate initiatives.
Accolades and Recognitions
- Chambers Top 100 Lawyers, 2013
In a review of the top 100 business lawyers in the UK across all sectors (including Corporate, Capital Markets, M&A, Commercial, Finance, Tax and Litigation) David was the first ranked Real Estate lawyer and 14th across all practice areas.
- Chambers UK
§Describes David as “the best legal mind in the country”, that he “dominates the scene” and is “the one you’d want on a deal”.
- Legal 500
States David is “absolutely first class in all respects and without a peer in the industry”.
- The Times
Names David as one of the foremost real estate lawyers in the country.
Names David as one of the world-leading Real Estate lawyers.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Solicitor, England and Wales
- Educated at Exeter College, Oxford university with a double first in Mods and Greats.