7 More London Riverside
SE1 2RT - London
+44 (0)20 7804 5635
Partner, PwC, United Kingdom
Mark Batten has been involved with Corporate Restructuring work since 1982and has been a partner in the London office of PwC since 1990. Mark leadsPwC’s corporate side restructuring practice, dealing with most aspects ofcorporate reorganisation/wind downs. Mark is also responsible forcoordinating PwC’s services to clients across Europe in relation to SolvencyII.
Mark has extensive experience in restructuring work across a wide range ofindustries, including insurance, property, leisure, and construction. Markspecialises in corporate restructuring in the insurance industry, in particularthe accelerated exit of closed insurance funds.
Highlights of Mark’s experience include:
- Mark is or has been scheme advisor to a number of solvent insurancecompanies and entities in the UK including:
- Willis Faber Underwriting Management Pool;
- Seven Provinces Insurance Company;
- Arig Insurance Company;
- Lakewood Insurance Company;
- Mercantile & General Re.
- Mark is also provisional liquidator and/ or scheme administrator of variousinsolvent insurance entities. In particular he is joint provisional liquidatorof Independent Insurance Company Limited (one of the largest Insurance failuresin the United Kingdom), which became insolvent in June 2001.
- Other appointments include or have included, acting as Schemeadministrator, provisional liquidator or receiver of:
- ICS Re pte and RMCA Re pte
- Chester Street Insurance Holdings Limited (formerly Iron Trades HoldingsLimited);
- Charter Re Limited;
- Dai Kyoto Re Limited;
- Kobe Re Limited;
- Various Lloyd’s brokers, Managing and Members’ Agents.
- He has advised on the restructuring of a number of non insurancebusinesses/brokers including insurance businesses in run-off or about to enterrun-off; these include Alea and the broker Hill House Hammond.Milk
- Mark provided advice and assistance to the Equitable Life Assurance Societyin relation to the formulation of its Scheme of Arrangement. He has alsoprovided advice and undertaken engagements in relation to other closed books ofbusiness, including the unitisation with profit funds.
- Mark has advised on a number of Lloyd’s capital vehicles in difficulty(e.g. the Euclidian group) and a range of other insurance/reinsurance companiescontemplating putting part, or all of their business into run-off, or which arealready in run-off.
- Mark has also advised on several financial distressed IFA’s and iscurrently Administrator of Berkeley Berry Birch Group and the fund managementcompany Exeter Fund Management Limited.
- Mark previously worked in corporate finance leading various strategyassignments as well as undertaking numerous valuations in the transport,shipping, banking, finance, manufacturing and fast moving consumer goodssectors.
- Mark was seconded to PwC’s Malaysian Firm in 1988, to help establish acorporate restructuring practice.
- Mark is a member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England andWales and a licensed Insolvency Practitioner. He is a graduate of OxfordUniversity.